| rimeMay 5, 10:10|
MAIN BUDDHISM LIBRARY PROJECT
The heads of main Buddhist traditions have supported a program to create an open Buddhist library.
Was tasked to make public available all buddhism heritage in the volume of national libraries of Mongolia,
Russia and India. Accessibility includes the free dissemination and translation into major languages. Together it about 1 350 000 volumes.
On first stage
In the first stage of the project created a program recognizing the Asian and the hieroglyphic text on the basis of which collected
17,000 books and more than 4 terabytes of media materials on Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali and western languages.
To implement access is designed and implemented a project web portal www.dharmabook.ru with total attendance more then two million users per year.
The most important 1000 books of Buddhist Canon and base teachings of all traditions was make public available in Unicode as
OCR result. In the first phase of the project received a grant from Trace Foundation.
To solve the main task of the library was developed the necessary open source software:
1. The program of optical computer recognition (OCR) of the Tibetan printed text. By this program was processed more than 250 000 pages of main tibetan textes, including Canon, Tibetan dictionaries and the main text collections of various schools. On this topic he received a grant of the St. Petersburg University and made an agreement with Trace Foundation. Over 5 years, free online support recognition of Tibetan books.
With the support of the Ivan Fedorov Charity Foundation started work on developing a program of computer recognition of Tibetan manuscripts.
2. Joint Tibetan-Sanskrit-Russian-English dictionary. The dictionary includes both the available electronic sources and materials detected paper dictionaries. Total is more than 360 000 unique articles in Tibetan and more than 250 000 articles Sanskrit. The dictionary available in the online version of the program for the offline use.
3. In cooperation with the University of St. Petersburg created a prototype of the Tibetan texts grammatical analysis program. The program works on the basis of a set of rules of Tibetan grammar and analysis of the library corpus of Tibetan texts. Example
4. Was established mini-typography and printed more than 5,000 books of Buddhist practices.
5. As part of the international cooperation of the library was established work connectionas with TBRC.org, Asian Clasic Input Project, St. Peterburg State University, University of Wien and London's University.
TASKS FOR 2017.
1. At the present time, based on 3 years of research developed algorithms for optical computer recognition OCR of the the Tibetan manuscripts.
2. Following the development of such a program can be set the task of recognition of all the materials of the library and create a single Corpus of Buddhist texts, including printed books and manuscripts.
3. On base of OCR and grammar analysis development it is need publish free and open for public cooperation edition of the whole Tibetan Tripitaka Canon and translate three volumes on Russian and English.
At the end of the names of precious Teachers supported the project their blessing
His Holiness Sakya Trizin Rinpoche,
His Holiness Jetsun Halka Damba Bogdo Gegen IX Rinpoche
His Holiness Kyabje Tsetrul Rinpoche
Palen Khenpo Sherab Rinpoche
Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, Garchen Rinpoche
Ayang Tulku Rinpoche,
Venerable Thero Sumonatissu,
Venerable Thero Mahindawansa
and many, many precious Dharma Teachers
List of Buddhist teachers and organizations supported the project personally.
1. His Holiness Jetsun Halka Damba Bogdo Gegen Rinpoche IX
2. His Holiness Sakya Trizin Rinpoche
3. Shadzhin Lama of Kalmykia Thelo Tulku Rinpoche
4. The head of a worldwide community of Dzogchen Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
5. Venerable Rinpoche Garchen
6. Ayang Tulku Rinpoche
7. Palen Khenpo Sherab and Tsevang Dongyal Rinpoche
8. The head of the school Amarapura Venerable Thero Mahindawansa
9.Venedable Dr. Sayadaw Ashin Nyanissara
10.Venerable Professor K. L. Dhammajoti
11. Venerable Thero Sumonatissu,
12. Tibetan Buddhism Research Centre
13. Asian Classic Input Project
14. The Ministry of Culture of Tuva
15. Trace Foundation
16. Foundation of Ivan Fyodorov.
17. Tibetan Buddhist Research Center
18. Professor Robert Thurman
19. Department of Tibetology St.Peterburg State University.