342 — ༣༤༢ Lesson Thirteen
16. Written Tibetan aboundsin abbreviations. ཤིང་ལོ་ is a typical one in that it combines
the first syllables of two words, here------ཤིང་སྡང་ and ལོ་མ་
17. The phrase ཆེ་ཆུང་སྟར་ཁ་ཙམ་ means"sizeapproximatelythatofawalnut."
18 སེར་དྲག་ཆེས་ཆེར་བཏང་ is a patternin which ཆེས་ augmentsa comparatiVeconstruction (see
10.3.31.—m.) . Here it means, "hail was increasing a lot."
19. ཡོང་ conVeys two simultaneous actions "descending coming" (see 810.3.19.
20. The use of ཙམ་ in the phrase གཤོག་པ་བརྡབ་ཙམ་བྱས་ l]ustratesacomHmonpattern ་ vb. + ཙམ་
+ བྱེད་ It is used toi̅refer to "a little" of the first verba] action ་ in this case it conVeys that
the eagle flapped its wings once or twice.
21. ཙམ་ here functions the same as it didin note 20 above.
2. The combination of རེད་ + འིདུག་ conveys somewhat more certainty than རེད་ by itself.
23. གར་སང་མེད་ is a standard idiomatic construction meaning litera]ly "where he went, no
exist." It conVeys that someone vanished and the narrator does not knows where.
24. Thei̅particle ལ་ in the clause ཐག་རིང་ཤར་ཕྱོགས་ཟཐུ་ཡོད་ལ་སྡོང་པོའི་འོག་ཏུ་འང་ actsasaclause
connectiVe meaning "as wel] as" (see 10.4.l) . Thus, "as we]l as being far away in the east,
it wasalso under a tree."
25 ༽ ཇི།་ལྟར་བྱས་ནས་ is used to convey "how or what shou]dbe done." Here it means, "What
should Ido so as to be ab]e to meet the owner?" (See a]so 10.14.)
26. This "causatiVe" use of nomina]ized Verb + བྱེད་ conveys the meaning of "doing
something toachieve the action of the first verb" (i.e., doing something soas to meet the
owner) (See l l .7 ༽ 3) .
27 ༽ ་ The phase རྒྱུ་འིབྲས་བརྩིས་།]itera]]y means "to abide by or adhereto the law of kama"
(causei̅and effect) , but really means to do the honest andproperthing, inthiscase,
searching for the real owner of the necklace.
28 Aswe saw in note ll, here again he have a vb. + noun compoundi འིཐང་ཆུ་ It conveys
the meaning of "water for drinking."
29. ལ་ isrequiredin མི་གཅིག་ལ་ ("toa person" or "to someone") becausethe Verb "to find"
requires the person who found something to be marked by the dative—]ocative.
I ྃ3.6 Vocabularyi̅
བཀག་འདོམས་ prohibition, va. --- བྱེད་སྐད་ཅོར་ shouting, clamor, ་ va. ------
བཀའ་ཕབ་ va. p. of བཀའ་འབེབས་རྒྱག་ to shout
བཀའ་འབེབས་ va. to order, to command སྐུ་སྲུང་ bodyguard